Preparing Your Home for the Holidays
Tips for Preparing Your Home for the Holidays
Local Home Inspectors Tips for Holiday Preparation
The holidays are upon us and many homeowners are thinking about what needs to be done to prepare, so we thought your local home inspectors would share a list we have built over the last several years. Since this is a time for celebration, family gatherings and home decorating, entertainment is important and often includes cooking and having people in your guest rooms. So here are some tips to help you prepare by your local home inspectors… Fireplaces
- Prior to using the fireplace for the first time, make sure to remove any flammable items from the area. This is one of the biggest causes of fires during the holidays – forgetting to remove flammable items that are close to the fireplace.
- Make sure to NEVER burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. Although it can appear fun, it is dangerous and definitely something you will want to keep the children from doing as well.
- If you purchase a Christmas tree, make sure any artificial tree is fire-resistant. Christmas tree are also a common cause of house fires. If you purchase a real tree, make sure it is very green and keep it away from the fireplace as well.
- Make sure to choose flame-resistant, flame-retardant and non-combustible materials which purchasing holiday lighting,
- Inspect holiday lights and light strings replacing any damaged items using them and do not over-load extension cords,
- Make sure you place the lights where children and pets will not play with light strings or electrical decorations,
- Check for frayed wires, broken sockets and loose connections before plugging in your holiday lights, and
- Turn them off when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Make sure to use only flame-resistant materials to trim a tree and
- Do not use lighted candles on or near the Christmas tree.
- Cooking is one of the leading causes of home fires during the holidays. When cooking for family and friends, do not leave the cooking area even though it is sometimes tempting and
- Test all smoke alarms to make sure you and your family are safe in the event something causes a fire.